Istanbul Museum of Modern Art (Istanbul Modern Sanat Müzesi)
With a collection of modern and contemporary work by Turkish artists and an innovative program of temporary exhibitions, the museum (often called simply Istanbul Modern) is a cultural must-see. Stroll through the white-walled galleries to view the collection, which includes photography, sculpture, digital art, and installations.
Guided tours in English of Istanbul Modern can be arranged on-site for a fee. Most small-group and private tours combine a visit to the museum with a broader exploration of culture and food in the surrounding neighborhood, including Galata, Karakӧy, and Taksim Square. Hop-on hop-off bus tours also stop at the museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
Istanbul Modern is a must-visit for art buffs.
The museum is located in a temporary space as of 2018.
The structure is fully wheelchair accessible.
Strollers are available to borrow for free.
How to Get There
Temporary located in the Beyoğlu district, the Istanbul Museum of Modern Art is close to the Tunel funicular, not far from the pedestrian boulevard Istiklal Caddesi. To get there by public transportation, take the M2 metro line or a bus to Şişhane.
When to Get There
Istanbul Modern is closed on Mondays and stays open into the evening on Thursdays. It is closed on New Year’s Day and on the first day of religious holidays. Arrive early in the day to beat the crowds and explore the museum's collection at your own pace.
The Permanent Collection
The Istanbul Museum of Modern Art’s permanent collection includes works by highly regarded Turkish modern and contemporary artists. Highlights include Fahrelnissa Zeid’s large-scale colorful abstract canvases and selections from the artist Sarkis, who works in neon.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Pera Museum (Pera Müzesi)
- Istiklal Street (Istiklal Caddesi)
- Galata Mevlevi Museum (Galata Mevlevihanesi Müzesi)
- St. Anthony of Padua Church (Sent Antuan Bazilikasi)
- Galata Tower (Galata Kulesi)
- Museum of Innocence (Masumiyet Müzesi)
- Galatasaray High School (Galatasaray Lisesi)
- Cicek Pasaji (Flower Passage)
- Madame Tussauds Istanbul
- Aga Turkish Bath (Aga Hamami)
- Taksim Square (Taksim Meydani)
- Eminonu Pier (Eminönü Iskelesi)
- Rustem Pasha Mosque (Rüstem Paşa Camii)
- Eminӧnü Square (Eminönü Meydani)
- New Mosque (Yeni Cami)