Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque (Sokollu Mehmet Paşa Camii)
Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque is filled with ornate details, from colorful stained glass windows and floral-patterned Iznik tiles to large calligraphy panels. The mosque was commissioned for the husband of the granddaughter of Suleyman the Magnificent, and though it officially is named after her, it’s more commonly known by her husband’s name.
Some small-group and private walking tours visit the nearby Sultanahmet neighborhood, and it is easy to combine a visit to Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque with stops at the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Grand Bazaar, and Topkapi Palace.
Things to Know Before You Go
Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque is an active place of worship and is closed to visitors during prayer times.Wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off when you visit the mosque.
Prayer times are longer on Fridays, so the mosque is closed for more of the day. Make sure to check on any Muslim and Turkish holidays, as they can also affect opening hours.
How to Get There
Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque is a short walk from Sultanahmet Square and easily accessible by public transportation. Take the tram to the Sultanahmet or Cemberlitas stop and walk a short way to the mosque. Buses run frequently through the area and taxis can take you directly to the mosque.
When to Get There
Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque is less crowded than Istanbul’s Blue Mosque, so most times of day are calm for visiting. The mosque is closed to non-Muslims during prayer times, which can be found online. Prayer times are longer on Fridays and on some Muslim holidays, so be sure to check the times for each day.
Proper Mosque Attire
It is necessary to wear appropriate clothes when visiting Istanbul’s mosques. Women should cover their heads, shoulders, and knees, while men should cover their shoulders and knees in the mosque. Most mosques provide scarves and other coverings for visitors that arrive wearing clothes that aren’t suitable.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus (Kücük Ayasofya Camii)
- Serpent Column (Yilani Sütun)
- Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts (Türk Islam Eserleri Müzesi Hizmete)
- Sultanahmet District
- Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii)
- Arasta Bazaar
- Great Palace Mosaic Museum
- Column of Constantine (Çemberlitaş Sütunu)
- Hippodrome (Sultanahmet Meydani)
- Basilica Cistern (Yerebatan Sarayi)
- Grand Bazaar (Kapali Çarsi)
- Hagia Sophia (Ayasofya)
- Beyazit Mosque (Beyazit Camii)
- Hagia Irene (Aya Irini)
- Galata Bridge (Galata Köprüsü)