Established in 705, the silver-domed mosque has been destroyed over the centuries by several earthquakes and subsequently rebuilt at least twice. With four minarets, the present day structure is characteristic of early Islamic architecture. The interior contains 121 stained glass windows and its massive dome is painted with 14th-century designs. The interior of the mosque is off-limits to non-Muslims, but it can be admired from the outside while visiting Temple Mount.
Things to know before you go
- Al-Aqsa Mosque is one of the most important sites in Jerusalem.
- Modest dress is required around Temple Mount: loose-fitting clothes covering knees, shoulders, and elbows is recommended.
- Women are not required to wear headscarves on Temple Mount.
- You may be asked to show your passport.
- Jewish or Christian objects are forbidden and practicing Jewish or Christian prayer is banned.
How to get there
In the heart of Old Jerusalem, Al-Aqsa Mosque is within easy walking distance from other major attractions, including the Western Wall. Visitors enter the Temple Mount complex through the Mughrabi Gate near the Western Wall.
When to get there
As the Temple Mount site is only open during very specific times, the line can be very long so it is best to arrive early. Temple Mount is open to non-Muslims from Monday through Thursday, outside of prayer times. Check seasonal hours online before a visit.
Dome of the Rock
Also on Temple Mount, next to Al-Aqsa Mosque, the gold-plated Dome of the Rock covers a slab of stone sacred to both the Muslim and Jewish faiths, a symbol of Jerusalem, and one of the world’s most famous Muslim shrines. Although non-Muslims are not permitted to enter, they may respectfully admire the mosaics, architecture, and calligraphy that surrounds it.
- Things to do in Bethlehem
- Things to do in Tel Aviv
- Things to do in Amman
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Beirut
- Things to do in Eilat
- Things to do in Aqaba
- Things to do in Port Said
- Things to do in Suez
- Things to do in Dahab
- Things to do in Larnaca
- Things to do in Cairo
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Temple Mount (al-Haram al-Sharif)
- Dome of the Rock
- Western Wall Tunnels
- Old City of Jerusalem
- Hezekiah's Tunnel (Siloam Tunnel)
- Way of the Cross (Via Dolorosa)
- Kidron Valley
- Jerusalem Jewish Quarter
- Church of All Nations (Basilica of the Agony)
- Church of St. Anne
- Pool of Bethesda
- Tomb of the Virgin Mary (Mary's Tomb)
- Christian Quarter
- Dominus Flevit Church