At 3,280 feet (almost 1,000 meters) above sea level, the town of Sarchí is located in Costa Rica’s beautiful and lush central valley amidst coffee and sugar plantations. Local artisans have been making crafts in the town for many years, and there are more than 200 stores selling items from carved wooden utensils to leather chairs. Although farmers no longer use the intricately painted oxcarts for which the town is known, the carts are still an important feature of parades and religious celebrations. To watch artisans painting the decorative oxcarts, visit the Joaquín Chaverri Oxcart Factory.
Full-day tours to Sarchi and the Central Valley from San José typically include transportation and stop at a coffee plantation for lunch and in the picturesque village of Grecia.
Things to Know Before You Go
Sarchí is ideal for those interested in traditional handicrafts and Costa Rican heritage.
A leather and wood rocking chair is one of the most popular items to buy here.
Make time to see the charming town church painted in pastel colors.
How to Get There
Sarchí, in Alajuela province in central Costa Rica, is fewer than 30 miles (48 kilometers) from San José—easily accessible by car or as part of a guided day trip. There are also daily public buses from San José to Sarchí.
When to Get There
Most shops in Sarchi are open seven days a week.
Adventures in Sarapiquí
For a true rain forest experience head to the area of Sarapiquí, home to several national parks and nature reserves. Here you can zipline through the forest canopy, hop on a wild white-water rafting ride, or just try and spot some of Costa Rica’s amazing wildlife—from howler monkeys and crocodiles to colorful parrots and slow-moving sloths.
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Limon
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Orosi River Valley (El Valle del Rio Orosi)
- Rescate Animal Zooave
- Poas Volcano National Park
- Turu Ba Ri Tropical Park
- La Sabana Park
- Costa Rican Art Museum (Museo de Arte Costarricense)
- Children's Museum (Museo de los Ninos)
- San Jose Central Market (Mercado Central)
- National Theater (Teatro Nacional)
- Plaza de la Cultura
- Gold Museum
- Jade Museum (Museo del Jade)
- Metallic Building (Ed)ificio Metálico)
- Yellow House (Casa Amarilla)